Following the exciting inaugural Storefront 店面 Residency in which artist Melissa Liu engaged the Asian diasporic communities through oral history workshops, open mic storytelling, talks, handcrafted silkscreened red envelopes, and a display at host Wing on Wo & Co.’s storefront window, W.O.W Project and China Residencies are accepting applications for the second Storefront 店面 Residency at Wing on Wo & Co. at 26 Mott Street in Manhattan’s Chinatown through August 31, 2017.
This second Storefront 店面 Residency calls for artists to create a window display for Wing on Wo & Co.’s storefront in celebration of the upcoming Lunar New Year — the Year of the Dog. This is a funded half-year long residency from October 1, 2017 – March 12, 2018. There are no restrictions on artists’ mediums, age, nationality, ethnicity, gender, or any other criteria. Visual artists, writers, poets, activists, filmmakers, curators, designers, architects, makers & tinkerers and more are all invited to apply. The only requirement is for applicants to be based in the New York area, and a preference is given to those who currently reside in Chinatown. Members of the Asian diaspora and those with a socially engaged practice to apply.
The Storefront 店面 Residency covers:
- $1,000 artist honorarium
- $800 for materials and production
- Studio space in Wing on Wo & Co’s basement studio, equipped with silkscreen facilities*
- Exhibition space (storefront window) to exhibit proposed project, to be shown February 12 – March 12, 2018.
- Project support from China Residencies and The W.O.W Project
- 3 visits from curators and arts professionals, selected by The W.O.W Project in accordance with the artist’s practice
- Artist Talk (optional)
- Opening reception party for the unveiling of the window display
- Closing dinner with program partners at Junzi Kitchen
For more information and a link to the online application, visit the residency’s website.